July 31, 2018
8 AM – 12 PM
The symposium, titled “Inter-professional Collaboration in Healthcare: Adding the Oral Health Component to Successful Projects Worldwide,” will be hosted by the UW School of Dentistry’s Timothy A. DeRouen Center for Global Oral Health. It will feature lectures by five speakers:
- Waranuch Pitiphat, DDS, PhD (Khon Kaen University, Thailand): “Faculty Development: The Impact of National Institutes of Health Funding on the Training of Thai Research Leaders.”
- Jorge Luis Castillo, DDS, PhD (Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Peru): “From the Andes to the Amazon: Connecting the Peruvian Oral Research Community to the National Institutes of Health.”
- Arthur Kemoli, BDS, PhD (University of Nairobi, Kenya): “Advocating for HIV Research In Children and Adolescents: The AFRICA Project.”
- Joseph Zunt, MD, MPH (University of Washington/Fred Hutch Center for AIDS Research): “Oral Health Is Relevant to Global Health: Existing Opportunities Through Fogarty Fellows and Scholars.”
- Florencia Vasta, Associate Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation: Nutrition, Global Development Program: “Investing in nutrition is investing in global health”
Talaris Conference Center – Seattle, WA
Come collaborate and learn from worldwide leaders in global health research. Featuring 5 keynote speakers, a panel discussion, poster presentations and poster competition.
Optional Poster Session: 12 – 1:30 pm
We are designing our symposium to provide opportunities for learning, finding new lines of research and expand networking. Social activities and poster presentations make appropriate settings for one-on-one exchange of ideas, learning experiences and overall passion to work in global health.
Optional Lunch & Learn Session: 1:30 – 3 pm
Speakers will lead a table of 7 people at the lunch and learn session after the poster session, providing an invitation to discuss current issues in global health with experts in the field. This session is open to all types of attendees including undergraduate and graduate students, offering a unique opportunity to expand knowledge of pressing global health issues, discover new passions, and network with some of the leading experts in global oral health research.